The Athletics New South Wales Target Talent Program (TTP) a state level high performance pathway, funded and regulated in partnership with Athletics Australia. The TTP is closely aligned with the activities of Athletics Australia's High Performance Department, and is set up to provide the following:
- To be the early talent identification element of Athletics Australia's High Performance Department
- To encourage NSW best young athletes by inviting them to be part of a state level squad
- To create meaningful contact in the off-season between the state's best young athletes, their personal coaches, and the best state coaches in each event group
- Create a national pool of identified coaches in each event group (state coach for sprints, hurdles, walks, jumps and throws) who can be used to model and disseminate best practice at the local level.
- Motivate and improve junior athletes through coach led training and education squad sessions.
By identifying and engaging New South Wales' best junior athletes and coaches through development and education opportunities, the TTP aims to encourage athletes and coaches to achieve their potential and to represent Australia at youth, junior and senior levels.
NSW athletes who meet the relevant inclusion criteria for their event group will be sent an invitation to participate in TTP squad days. At these sessions, athletes along with their personal coaches will participate in practical training sessions as well as both general and event specific education sessions.